Tell Washington what you think about the debt showdown

As the battle over the national debt barreled this week toward an Aug. 2 showdown, the National Constitution Center asked visitors to weigh in on the controversy.

The Republican-led House and President Barack Obama, a Democrat, are at loggerheads over competing plans to cut spending, increase revenue and raise the debt limit. As the sense of crisis and public frustration intensified, visitors shared their views with videographer Gus Graves about the partisan impasse and how it should be resolved.

You can view their responses here:

Let your representatives in Congress know what you think. Earlier this week, in a televised address, President Obama urged citizens to make their voices heard. House Speaker John Boehner’s immediate rebuttal, also televised, demonstrated just how far apart the two sides remain.

How should the crisis be resolved? Use the National Constitution Center’s Citizen Action application to reach out with your thoughts by clicking here or by clicking the “find your official” button below.

Comments

comments

Comments

1. Lola Kakes says

Instead of threatening to withhold Social Security and Disability checks of people who really need the money, let’s hold the paychecks and benefits of all House & Senate members, the President, Vice President and all their staffs, until they do the jobs they were elected for, WORKING FOR US, then see how fast it is resolved! Also, let’s eliminate their health care!

2. says

I think it is time for all of congress need to grow up and start doing what is best for American’s. They are making us all sick of them. I am sure they do not see their 401K money going away so others like me that are retired and have seen nothing but problems that make the DOW fall every year. The way things are going, I will be out looking for a job early next year. Ian am sure there will be thousands like me doing the same. I have to blame all of Congress.

3. says